A quick update on a recent purchase in my portfolio.
Last week, I added to my Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP (BIP.UN.TO) position with 50 shares @ CAD$53.34. This purchase will add US$100.40 (dividends are declared & paid in US$) in annual dividends going forward.
Recent Buy Decision
- I have been keeping an eye on BIP for the past few weeks and was hoping for a pullback after my lowball order did not get executed in December when the stock fell into the mid-$40s. After the recovery, the stock has been in demand as Brookfield reported great results for 2018 and raised distributions by 6.91%.
- Overall, the utilities sector is doing great lately as the reach for yield is back in favor — this is especially true after the major central banks have turned dovish on faltering economic growth worldwide.
- Brookfield is one of the best capital allocators in the market and is well positioned to take advantage of the low & falling interest rate environment.
- In addition, dividends are paid in US$. With the Loonie weakening against the US$, the yield is even juicier.
- With BIP, of course I get worldwide high quality infrastructure project exposure to utilities, transport, energy & data infrastructure. See latest Investor FactSheet for details.
Full Disclosure: Long BIP.UN.TO. Our full list of holdings is available here.