Welcome to our monthly passive income update for May 2018. This is part of the scorecard series where we track our dividends and other sources of passive income. We also include changes and updates related to our investments during the month – showing the overall progress.
Passive Income Update
Passive income for the month of May 2018 was C$694.91. The passive income for the month comprised of US$376.28 and C$209.51 (exchange rate is US$1 = C$1.29).
The change for the month is -8.9% QoQ and -21.65% YoY for the month. This brings our passive income to $4,173.80 YTD and achieves 37.94% of our annual goal of earning $11K.
Passive income contributing entities:
- Bank of Montreal (BMO.TO)
- Inter Pipeline Ltd (IPL.TO)
- Kinder Morgan Inc (KMI)
- BMO Aggregate Bond Index ETF (ZAG.TO)
- BMO EM CAD Hedged Bond ETF (ZEF.TO)
- Vanguard Emerging Market Bond ETF (VWOB)
- Scotia Diversified Monthly Income Fund (mutual fund)
- Advertising revenue from this blog
- Interest on cash
- Cashback credit card
- Affiliate program from BlueHost & Simply Wall St
- Seeking Alpha – 1 new article published
- Cryptocurrency mining
The breakdown of our passive income contributing entities: dividends & options totaled $210.82 and other passive income totaled $484.09. Read more about why we consider this as passive income in the Passivity Index post.
May saw 4 dividend increase announcements in our portfolio.
- Algonquin Power & Utilities (AQN.TO) raised its dividend by 10.04%
- Bank of Montreal (BMO.TO) raised its dividend by 3.23%
- Franco Nevada Corp (FNV.TO) raised its dividend by 4.35%
- Kirkland Lake Gold (KL.TO) raised its dividend by 50%
During the month, we added the following position to our portfolio
- Brookfield Infrastructure Partneres LP (BIP.UN.TO)
- Canadian Utilities Ltd (CU.TO)
- Fairfax India Holdings (FIH.U.TO)
- A new small cap company (post coming soon)
During the month, we reduced/closed the following positions
- Nevsun Resources (NSU) — Covered call option, Called Away
That’s all folks! Hope you had a great May as well. Be sure to share your thoughts, comments or concerns below. I love hearing from the readers.
Disclosure: Our full list of holdings is available here.