1. Investment & Portfolio Update
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN.TO) – 5 shares DRIPped
- B2Gold Corp (BTO.TO)
- Bank of Montreal (BMO.TO)
- Brixton Metals Corp (BBB.V) #1 & #2
- Canadian Utilities Ltd (CU.TO)
- Kirkland Lake Gold (KL.TO)
- Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD.TO)
We continued adding to the following funds
- BMO S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index ETF (ZCN.TO)
- Vanguard All-World Ex-Canada Index ETF (VXC.TO)
- BMO Aggregate Bond Index ETF (ZAG.TO)
- BMO Emerging Bond Index ETF (ZEF.TO)
- Vanguard Emerging Market Bond ETF (VWOB)
- US Equity Index (Seg) Fund
- Intl Equity Index (Seg) Fund
- Scotia Monthly Income (Mutual) Fund
Reduced/Closed positions: We reduced exposure in the following funds in Q1
Q1 saw 10 (+1 initiation) dividend increase announcements in our portfolios. The companies from our portfolios increasing their dividends and details of portfolio changes are summarized below.
Overall, the portfolio performance has been pretty amazing so far in 2017. The following is a screenshot from StockRover where I track my portfolio and as you can see, the YTD performance for all of our holdings have been pretty fantastic.
2. Passive Income Update
A great quarter on the passive income front. During the quarter, we managed to earn a passive income of $2,067.19.
You can read our previous quarterly updates here.
“Other” Passive Income
Passive income that we achieve is split between investments from dividend paying companies and what I call other sources of passive income, which includes cash back rewards credit card, advertising revenue from this blog, interest on cash and writing premium articles for Seeking Alpha. As you can see from the chart below, our other category has performed well. Our passive income from the ‘other’ sources saw continued traction in Q1 2017, providing us with some great overall passive income – which we proceed to invest into stocks and funds to compound our growth.
3. Goals Update
Onto the goals that I set and see how we did overall on that front.
- Earn $10,000 in annual passive income On Target!
- Passive income YTD is $2,067 (achieved 20.67% of goal)
Start two portfolios for our daughter – one for post-secondary education via RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan) and the other- a DRIP planAchieved!
- I started the two portfolios mentioned and have been making regular contributions to grow these accounts. See the details here.
- Pay down an extra 25% towards mortgage debt
That’s all folks! Thanks for reading. Be sure to leave a comment at the bottom – I love to hear from the readers on your thoughts and opinions.