1. Investment & Portfolio Update
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN.TO) – 1 share DRIPped
- Critical Elements Corp (CRE.V) *New position*
- Omega Healthcare Investors Inc (OHI) – 1 share DRIPped
- Pan American Silver Corp (PAA.TO) *New position*
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW.TO) *New position*
- US Equity Index (Seg) Fund *New position*
- Intl Equity Index (Seg) Fund *New position*
- Apple Inc (AAPL)
- Amgen Inc (AMGN)
- Agrium Inc (AGU.TO)
- AT&T (T)
- Care Capital Properties Inc (CCP)
- Chevron Corp (CVX)
- Cineplex Inc (CGX.TO)
- General Electric (GE)
- Main Street Capital (MAIN)
- Power Corp of Canada (POW.TO)
- Thomson Reuters Corp (TRI.TO)
- Wells Fargo & Co (WFC)
All sales that arent linked above are detailed in this post with the reasoning for exiting those investments.
Q2 saw 8 dividend increase announcements in our portfolios. The companies from our portfolios increasing their dividends and details of portfolio changes are summarized below.
2. Passive Income Update
A great quarter on the passive income front. During the quarter, we managed to earn a passive income of $2,404.43. On a quarterly basis, our passive income saw another all-time high!! 🙂
You can read our previous quarterly updates here.
“Other” Passive Income
Passive income that we achieve is split between investments from dividend paying companies and what I call other sources of passive income, which includes cash back rewards credit card, advertising revenue from this blog, interest on cash and writing premium articles for Seeking Alpha. As you can see from the chart below, our other category has performed well. Our passive income from the ‘other’ sources saw continued traction in Q2 2016, providing us with some great overall passive income – which we proceed to invest into stocks and funds to compound our growth.
3. Blog Update
Based on the pageviews, the following were the most popular posts on Roadmap2Retire.
- Recent Sell – The Big Reset Edition
- Top Investment Picks for 2016
- Building an ETF Portfolio
- Annual Update – 2015 Review
- Recent Buy – Silver Wheaton Corp
I am still lagging in meeting my goal of reaching 15K pageviews consistently 🙁 I am currently averaging 12-13K pageviews per month and hope to bring that number up in the coming quarters.
4. Goals Update
Right. Onto the goals that I set and see how we did overall on that front.
- Earn $9,000 in annual passive income On target, but will probably miss goal
- As of Q2, we have achieved $4,572.38, which achieves 50% of the goal. Right on cue at mid year, but after selling a big portion of our portfolio, I am almost certain that we will fail to achieve this goal for the year.
- Achieve better balance across asset classes and sectors Completed!
- For the time being, I am happy with our asset allocation…we are close to 1/3 cash, 1/3 real assets (gold/silver and real estate) and 1/3 in other DGI stocks. I have detailed the reasons for picking this in this post. This is a short term allocation, and I will be slowly adjusting our portfolio going forward to align with our long term goals.
- Take atleast two finance related courses On Target
- I took one course so far. The course is Financial Markets taught by none other than Robert Shiller, Sterling Professor of Economics at Yale University. Prof Shiller is a Nobel Prize winner in Economics (won the prize in 2013). I am learnt a lot about diversification and other theoretical aspects. In addition, Prof Shiller discussed some very interesting aspects of behavioral (psychological and sociological) aspects in human beings which affect investing – something I wasn’t expecting from the course. It’s a fantastic course and I highly recommend it.
- I am still undecided on the second course…something that I will need to look into during the second half of the year.
- Blog Growth: Achieve 15K pageviews consistently through 2015 Needs Improvement
- Blog traffic continues to lag and the consistent 15K pageviews remain elusive. Needs further improvement.
- Write an e-book On Target
- I have started putting some of my thoughts down on certain ideas. I still don’t have a firm idea on when I will finish, but thinking back to last year where I failed on this goal – the hardest part has been just getting started. I have overcome that hurdle and once I got started, some ideas have started flowing. Stay tuned for updates on this front in the coming quarters.
That’s all folks! Thanks for reading. Be sure to leave a comment at the bottom – I love to hear from the readers on your thoughts and opinions.