1. Investment & Portfolio Update
- Apple Inc (AAPL)
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN.TO)
- Omega Healthcare Investors Inc (OHI) – 2 shares DRIPped
- Starbucks Corp (SBUX)
- BMO S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index ETF (ZCN.TO)
- Vanguard FTSE All World Ex-Canada Index ETF (VXC.TO)
- BMO Aggregate Bond Index ETF (ZAG.TO)
We closed the following position.
Q1 saw 13 dividend increase announcements in our portfolios. The companies from our portfolios increasing their dividends and details of portfolio changes are summarized below.
2. Passive Income Update
A great quarter on the passive income front. During the quarter, we managed to earn a passive income of $2,167.95. On a quarterly basis, our passive income saw another all-time high in Q4 2015.
You can read our previous quarterly updates here.
“Other” Passive Income
Passive income that we achieve is split between investments from dividend paying companies and what I call other sources of passive income, which includes cash back rewards credit card, advertising revenue from this blog, interest on cash and writing premium articles for Seeking Alpha. As you can see from the chart below, our other category has performed well. Our passive income from the ‘other’ sources saw continued traction in Q1 2016, providing us with some great overall passive income – which we proceed to invest into stocks and funds to compound our growth.
3. Blog Update
Based on the pageviews, the following were the most popular posts on Roadmap2Retire.
- Top Investment Picks for 2016
- Annual Update – 2015 Review
- Outlook for 2016
- (Guest Post) Why I stopped making my financial advisor rich
- Passive Income Update – February 2016
I am still lagging in meeting my goal of reaching 15K pageviews consistently 🙁 I am currently averaging 12-13K pageviews per month and hope to bring that number up in the coming quarters.
4. Goals Update
Right. Onto the goals that I set and see how we did overall on that front.
- Earn $9,000 in annual passive income On Target
- As of Q1, we have achieved $2,167.95, which represents 24% of the goal. I am pretty pleased with the progress here and looks like we are well on track to reach this goal in 2016.
- Achieve better balance across asset classes and sectors Needs Attention
- No progress here yet. Needs attention.
- Take atleast two finance related courses On Target
- I am currently taking one course. The course is Financial Markets taught by none other than Robert Shiller, Sterling Professor of Economics at Yale University. Prof Shiller is a Nobel Prize winner in Economics (won the prize in 2013) and this course is an absolute joy – I am learning a lot about diversification and other theoretical aspects. In addition, Prof Shiller discussed some very interesting aspects of behavioral (psychological and sociological) aspects in human beings which affect investing – something I wasn’t expecting from the course. Its a fantastic course and I highly recommend it.
- Blog Growth: Achieve 15K pageviews consistently through 2015 Needs Improvement
- The blog traffic has improved a bit more after I took some steps to refocus. In addition, help from fellow bloggers has increased the pageviews of this blog, but target still seems elusive and needs further improvement.
- Write an e-book On Target
- I have started putting some of my thoughts down on certain ideas. I still don’t have a firm idea on when I will finish, but thinking back to last year where I failed on this goal – the hardest part has been just getting started. I have overcome that hurdle and once I got started, some ideas have started flowing. Stay tuned for updates on this front in the coming quarters.
That’s all folks! Thanks for reading. Be sure to leave a comment at the bottom – I love to hear from the readers on your thoughts and opinions.