1. Investment & Portfolio Update
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN.TO)
- Amgen Inc (AMGN)
- Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP (BIP.UN.TO)
- Canadian National Railway (CNR.TO)
- Canadian Utilities Ltd (CU.TO)
- Inter Pipeline Ltd (IPL.TO)
- Kinder Morgan Inc (KMI) – 1 share DRIPped
- Omega Healthcare Investors Inc (OHI) – 1 share DRIPped
- Qualcomm Inc (QCOM)
- Starbucks Corp (SBUX)
- Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD.TO)
In my wife’s portfolio, we continued adding to the positions in the following ETFs. Click here to read details about my wife’s portfolio and why we chose the route of index ETFs.
- BMO S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index ETF (ZCN.TO)
- Vanguard FTSE All World Ex-Canada Index ETF (VXC.TO)
- BMO Aggregate Bond Index ETF (ZAG.TO)
Q3 saw 6 dividend increase announcements in my portfolio. The companies from my portfolio increasing their dividends and details of my portfolio changes are summarized below.
2. Passive Income Update
Another quarter passed and another great quarter for passive income. I have finally crossed the $2000 mark in quarterly passive income!
“Other” Passive Income
Passive income that we achieve seems to be evenly split between investments from dividend paying companies and what I call other sources of passive income, which includes cash back rewards credit card, advertising revenue from this blog, interest on cash and writing premium articles for Seeking Alpha. As you can see from the chart below, my other category has performed well. For Q3 2015, my other passive income totaled $1,168.25. I look forward to investing proceeds of these sources into stocks and funds to compound my growth.
3. Blog Update
The three months in the quarter saw the following figures:
- Jul 2015: Total pageviews = 15,109. Unique visitors = 5,140
- Aug 2015: Total pageviews = 14,414. Unique visitors = 5,086
- Sep 2015: Total pageviews = 11,841. Unique visitors = 3,983
The 20,000 pageviews per month remains elusive, a target that Ive been chasing for months now. I continue to work away and hope to increase my pageviews.
4. Goals Update
Right. Onto the goals that I set and see how I am progressing on that front. I set the following goals for 2015.
Earn $5,500 in annual passive income(completed in Q3 2015!)
- My passive income YTD is $5,584.02. I couldn’t be happier with this progress and had no idea that the goal was achievable in three quarters when we were setting goals last December. We will be looking at setting much higher goals for next year.
- Focus on reducing debt (mortgage) – Pay down more than the minimum mortgage amount. .
- No extra payments in Q3. In Q1, we paid an extra 52%. In Q2, we managed to pay an extra 33%.
- With mortgage rates so low, we have decided to divert the extra cash towards saving for a kitchen renovation project and/or some other work that we want to get done around the house.
- Maintain a 3-5% cash position in portfolio
- This goal was motivated by the fact that last year I had to pass up on some good investing opportunities due to lack of liquidity in my portfolio. We now maintain well above the target 3-5% cash in our portfolios and will be able to move and take advantage of investing opportunities when they present themselves.
Re-balance portfolio with my wife’s portfolio integrated(completed in Q1 2015)
- We sold the expensive mutual funds in my wife’s portfolio in January and have started building an ETF portfolio starting February. I am happy to say that we have now completed one of our goals for the year 🙂
- Take atleast one finance related e-course
- I am taking this online course from Coursera – The Power of Macroeconomics: Economic Principles in the Real World by Dr. Peter Navarro from University of California, Irvine.
- Write an e-book – No progress here yet. Needs attention.
That’s all folks! Thanks for reading. Be sure to leave a comment at the bottom – I love to hear from the readers on your thoughts and opinions.