This post is inspired by Bryan at Income Surfer who nominated me for the Sunshine blogger award. For those unfamiliar, this is a fun way of sharing details about the nominated blogger (in this case, me) with a few questions posted by the person nominating. Thanks for the nomination, Bryan.
1. Name the top three experiences from your past, that help form who you are today.
- Having a near-death experience. I fell off a cliff a few years ago and ended up with injuries that could have either killed me or left me paralyzed, but as luck may have it, I just came off it with just some cuts and scrapes, some fractures and a new found love of life. This caused me to re-evaluate a lot of things in my life and do some soul searching. I would say that a big part of me today is because of that experience.
- A death of a close family member. Again – nothing like death to remind you how precious life is, right? A death of a close family member shook me up and reminded how important it was to take care of myself and people I care about. I used to be quite overweight and it was a wakeup call and decided to live a much healthier and active lifestyle after that. Even to this day, living and maintaining a healthy lifestyle remains a top priority for me.
- Seeing people around me not plan ahead financially enough. Time and again, I’ve seen too many people not have a game plan when it comes to retirement and living paycheque to paycheque, while spending on unnecessary things. I started saving for my retirement the moment I was out of university and got a full-time job.
2. Where did you go on your last trip, and what was your favourite part of that trip?
My last trip was visiting my wife’s parents for a week. It was a much needed relaxing down-time after some hectic weeks at work. They live on the shores of Lake Huron and its truly a fantastic place. To give you an idea, I took this picture from the deck while having brunch. Also, my wife and I got married under that tree 🙂
3. Do you have a hobby or passion that balances your work life? If so, what is it?
I train and teach Jiu Jitsu, a traditional Japanese martial art. I started learning Jiu Jitsu in 2006 and have been hooked onto it – its a great workout, therapeutic and balances my work life with a physical and social aspect.
4. What is the best book you’ve read in 2015? What did you like about it?
I havent read any extraordinary books so far this year. The top two that come close to being good books are (note: affiliate links included):
- Pour Your Heart Into It – a business story by Howard Schutlz – the founder and CEO of Starbucks where he recounts the challenges he faced while starting and growing the company. It has a different take than other business books and he speaks/writes from the heart and it was a refreshing read.
- Business Adventures – I have to admit that I still haven’t completely finished this book, but so far it seems like a decent read. This book was recommended by Warren Buffett and Bill Gates as a must-read. So far so good – I will hopefully post a full review soon.
5. What is your favorite sport to watch? What is your favourite sport to play?
Soccer. Both to watch and play. Its called the Beautiful Game for a reason 🙂
Continuing with the tradition that is with this award, I nominate two bloggers and pose my set of five questions for them. I nominate Freedom Thirty Five and Dividend Hustler – two bloggers who’s articles are always entertaining and enlightening. Co-incidentally, they are both based in Vancouver, Canada.
- Name the top three experiences from your past, that help form who you are today. (I decided to re-pose this question from Bryan as I thought it was a great question and everyone’s inspirational stories are great to read)
- If you have one piece of advice for investors starting out, what would it be?
- What was your worst investment so far in your life? How do you avoid making the same mistakes?
- Outside of work and investing, what is your biggest passion in life?
- Which is the last movie you watched? Do you recommend it?