1. Investment Update
- Apple Inc (AAPL) *New position*
- Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS)
- Canadian National Railway (CNR.TO) *New position*
- Chevron Corp (CVX)
- iShares Canadian Financial Monthly Income Fund (FIE.A.TO)
- Magna International (MG.TO) *New position*
- Scotia Canadian Balanced Fund (mutual fund)
I closed my positions in the following holdings.
- iShares S&P US Dividend Growers ETF (CUD.TO)
- Rogers Communications Inc (RCI.B.TO)
2. Passive Income Update
Passive income for the quarter was $1,803.90. That number has skyrocketed past my wildest expectations as I have been able to generate more passive income in the “other” category, coupled with an annual payout from my wife’s mutual fund in December.
(Jan – Mar)
(Apr – Jun)
(Jul – Sep)
(Oct – Dec)
“Other” Passive Income
Most of the my passive income comes from my investments in dividend paying companies, but part of the growth in passive income also came thanks to what I call other sources of passive income, which includes cash back rewards credit card, advertising revenue from this blog, interest on cash and writing premium articles for Seeking Alpha. As you can see from the chart below, my other category has performed well. For Q4 2014, my other passive income totaled $934.35 (up from $501.06 from last quarter), and has been my best quarter so far. I look forward to investing proceeds of these sources into stocks and funds to compound my growth.
3. Blog Update
The three months in the quarter saw the following figures:
- Oct 2014: Total pageviews = 11,869. Unique visitors = 3,413
- Nov 2014: Total pageviews = 10,345. Unique visitors = 3,098
- Dec 2014: Total pageviews = 11,747. Unique visitors = 3,943
I set myself a goal at the end of last quarter of reaching 20,000 pageviews per month consistently, which I have failed at. Increasing the number of pageviews remains elusive, but I dont intend to quit. I will keep working away and hope to increase my pageview until I meet my goal. My short term goal remains reaching 20K pageviews per month consistently.
Be sure to subscribe to the newsletter to stay on top of the latest investment articles. In addition to sharing my journey of financial independence, I also publish weekly links every Saturday morning to share the best articles from the investment and personal finance blogging community. Click here to subscribe.
That’s all folks! Thanks for reading. Be sure to leave a comment at the bottom – I love to hear from the readers on your thoughts and opinions.