The year is almost over and what better time for a 2014 review. Its time to reflect on how things progressed and look back at the goals and what was achieved and missed during the year. In addition, I present reviews for my investments and the blog.
1. Goals Review
- Earn $4,000 in annual passive income Achieved!
- We were able to crush this goal and are close to achieving $5K in passive income. The final number will be posted on the blog in the coming days. We achieved this goal in early November.
- Buy a house Achieved!
- After a lot of debating on when and where to buy, we are now proud home owners. We bought our house in May and moved into it in July.
- Re-balance portfolio with my wife’s portfolio integrated Failed!
- This is a work item that we haven’t been able to complete and hope to finish it in the new year.
- Sell all my positions in mutual funds and cut down on the fees Partially Achieved!
- I sold all my mutual funds in April, but my wife’s account continues to own some expensive mutual funds.
- Read and review more books Partially Achieved!
- This is one work item I am not pleased with. Even though I read and reviewed some interesting books, there are a lot more books that I started and haven’t finished. I hope to clean up my act in 2015 and beyond.
- Write atleast 6 premium articles for Seeking Alpha Achieved!
- I was able to crush this goal with 17 premium SA articles published.
2. Investment Review
2014 has been a great year in the market and I have stayed well invested in the stock market (almost a bit too well invested – as my cash position has depleted to a minute level). I have continued tweaking my portfolio over the year and picked up stocks where I saw value and gotten rid of a couple of companies where I saw more headwinds and problems than I care to entertain.
Deletions: In 2014, I sold and exited positions in the following stocks/ETFs
- iShares 1-5 yr Laddered Governmenet Bond ETF (CLF.TO)
- iShares S&P US Dividend Growers ETF (CUD.TO)
- Vanguard US Total Market CAD Hedged (VUS.TO)
- Vanguard Total Intl Stock Market ETF (VXUS)
- BMO S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index ETF (ZCN.TO)
Additions: In 2014, I added-to or initiated positions in the following stocks
- Apple Inc (AAPL) *New*
- Agrium (AGU) *New*
- Archer Daniels Midland (ADM)
- AT&T (T) *New*
- Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS)
- Canadian National Railway (CNR.TO) *New*
- Chevron Corp (CVX)
- General Electric (GE) *New*
- Kinder Morgan Inc (KMI)
- Magna International (MG.TO) *New*
- Qualcomm (QCOM)
Dividend Increases: Chalk 2014 up as another great year for dividend growth stocks. 27 dividend increases announcements came this year in my holdings and some of them more than once – either quarterly or semi-annual dividend increase announcements.
The following calendar snapshot shows the summary of my portfolio additions, deletions and dividend increases.
3. Blog Review
2014 is the second year for Roadmap2Retire and has been quite a roller coaster – although things are looking great. I have managed to make new friends with other bloggers in the investing community and would like to take this moment to thank them for the continued support and well wishes. The reader base has recovered, although overall pageviews dropped after I moved my blog from Blogger to WordPress in September. I hope to continue building relations with the readers and increase my understanding and knowledge while sharing my journey to financial independence.
2014 also saw increased presence on social media with new accounts in Facebook, Pinterest. I run a Dividend Growth Investing board on Pinterest where I share posts from all DGI bloggers – so, be sure to follow along and share with others.
That’s it folks! That has been my year in 2014 and looking forward to build from here into the new year. Wishing each and every one of you a happy and prosperous 2015.