1. Investment Update
- General Electric Company
- The Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS.TO) – monthly DRIP
- Claymore S&P US Dividend Growers ETF (CUD.TO) – monthly contribution
- iShares Canadian Financial Monthly Income Fund (FIE.A.TO) – monthly contribution
- Scotia Canadian Balanced Fund (mutual fund) – monthly contribution
2. Passive Income Update
(Jan – Mar)
(Apr – Jun)
(Jul – Sep)
(Oct – Dec)
My passive income YTD is $2,273.65. To put things into perspective, I have already passed my total passive income from 2012 ($1,647) and getting close to my 2013 final number ($2,682). See my progress here.
Most of the my passive income comes from my investments in dividend paying companies, but part of the growth in passive income also came thanks to what I call other sources of passive income, which includes cash back rewards credit card, advertising revenue from this blog, interest on cash and writing premium articles for Seeking Alpha. As you can see from the chart below, my other category has performed fairly well. For Q2 2014, my other passive income totaled $344.77 (down from $426.17 from last quarter). I look forward to investing proceeds of these sources into stocks and funds to compound my growth.
3. Blog Update
My blog traffic has seen a bit of a drop after the rise in Q1. The three months in the quarter saw the following figures:
- Apr 2014: Total pageviews = 18,978. Unique visitors = 3901
- May 2014: Total pageviews = 13,502. Unique visitors = 2351
- June 2014: Total pageviews = 14,801. Unique visitors = 2973
I set myself a goal at the end of last quarter of reaching 20,000 pageviews per month consistently, which I have failed at. I will have to continue building my contacts to engage readers and try to get those numbers back up in the following quarters. My short term goal remains reaching 20K pageviews per month consistently.
In February, I joined the Yakezie challenge. This is a self-regulating challenge that bloggers set to reach a higher rank in the Alexa ranking system. When I signed up, my blog’s global rank was 565,407. My goal is get into the top 200,000 in six months since I signed up (deadline is Aug 11, 2014).
- Feb 11, 2014 (Alexa signup): Rank #565, 407
- Mar 31, 2014 (End of Q1): Rank #507,468
- Jun 30, 2014 (End of Q2): Rank #289,318