- Railroads face constant government regulations.
- Railroads are heavily unionized and face a large portion of the workforce retiring in the next decade which adds more stress to the financials such as pensions and healthcare obligations etc.
- Railroads face constant threat from industries such as shipping, trucking businesses, pipelines etc.
- Railroads face accidents sometimes resulting in a community backlash – pushing people and government more towards using pipelines for oil transportation.
- Nearly 50% of the North American railroad transport carries coal – a commodity under constant pressure from the environmentally conscious community.
|Kansis City Southern||KSU||$110.06||40.32||0.78%||13.8%||–||28.7%|
|Norfolk Southern Inc||NSC||$75.50||13.93||2.65%||36.6%||11.73%||27.20%|
|Trinity Industries Inc||TRN||$40.31||11.86||1.29%||8.8%||9.67%||14.9%|
|Union Pacific Corp||UNP||$163.37||18.59||1.69%||30.2%||26.17%||32.90%|
|Westinghouse Air Brake||WAB||$59.15||21.13||0.27%||3.5%||37.97%||16.90%|
Photo Credit: John H Kibbler/freedigitalphotos.net
Disclaimer: The information provided here is for educational purposes only. All opinions here are my personal opinions and should not be taken as financial advice. I am not qualified to be a financial advisor. Always consult with your financial advisor before investing in any of the companies mentioned on this blog.